In 1952 the MEC ordered 25 RS-D4'S from ALCO to replace their aging fleet of RS- 3's. Once on the property the MEC put them to use in the major yards
(Rigby, Waterville,....) If not found in the yards then they would be used to asist trains up the Mountain Division. Towards the end of their life span they could be found pulling passenger trains across the MEC due to their quick start ups and smooth ride. This got cut short when the MEC got rid of passenger service. The RS-D4's finally got done in when the MEC ordered the GP-38's. They could not pull nearly as much as the 38's. Today only one surrvives, #565 on the Conway Scenic pulling trains up the Mountain Divsion. Chris Shannon
Photographed by Chris Shannon, July, 2011.
Added to the photo archive by Christopher Shannon, August 8, 2011.
|Christopher Shannon's awards:|
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.